Monday, December 11, 2006

My First ASL Storytelling experience

Howdy. Like most of you know, I'm Deaf and so are my parents. Naturally, ASL is our first language and I don't understand why it took my Parents, like, forever to take me to an ASL storytelling event!

We went to this neat bookstore called Barnes and Nobles. They have this cool corner where all the books are at and I get to pull down all the stuffed animals and play with them. Anyway, it seemed like we were early birds because nobody was there.

DSC_0350

I'm watching the lady, Mrs. Morrison, setting up the area and readying for overly enthusiastic audience that were to flock within few minutes. Before they came, I got to explore and get a feel of the territory, giving me a sense of ownership that will later lead me to my few seconds fame. I'll get to that soon.

Before we knew it, people were arriving and I couldn't believe it-- there were kids!! Finally, I was surrounded by someone who wasn't much, much taller than me. I kept babbling and signing at everyone and could see that my Mom beaming in pride when I signed. She would keep pointing at me and well, I think nobody noticed my Mom's beaming pride except for my Nanny who happened to capture the moment.

DSC_0353

See? I'm signing 'duck' because there were a lot of stuffed ducks and birds next to my Mom.

Again, Mommy beaming in pride of me, well, who can blame her??

DSC_0364

I'm signing to the lady next to me, she had a boy with her and he was almost my age. I wanted to make friends but I think he was way too shy. Next time he should come earlier and get some sense of ownership like I did. I bet it would have made a difference.

Now let me get to the few seconds of fame I had. There was a lady telling a story about some grumpy Santa-- which was cute by the way-- I noticed everyone was staring at her. Something wasn't right... I had to have SOMEONE looking at me. So, I decided to claim the stage back by crawling up onto it and getting onto my knees and raise my arms up above my head and wave. After I noticed eyes on me, some laughed and some looked bewildered... then I clapped in glee. My Mom said I was such a ham but she laughed affectionately when she called me that. I don't quite get it anyway.

DSC_0382_1

Like my mohawk? Cousin Jahren let me have some of his glue gel to get this cool 'do.

DSC_0384_1

The few seconds of fame... snap!

We then watched my Mom's co-worker tell a funny story called How Do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight? She was so good that I was captivated with her. I hope Mommy and Daddy get me that same book for my Hanukah or Birthday!! (Hint Mommy, Daddy!!)

DSC_0396

After storytelling, flying hands were still galore. We did our usual Deaf culture thingy by chatting, mingling and well, chatting. It went way past my bedtime but still, I loved every second of it... especially when Daddy or Mommy held me and carried me around. All I had to do was to sit back and watch. Big grin.

DSC_0402

Dad chattering away.

DSC_0407

Mommy holding me and you can see, I'm tired because I'm grabbing my shirt and sucking a paci-- an obvious clue that this little Dinosaur wants to go to sleep too.

That's pretty much of my first ASL storytelling experience. I look forward to the next one!

Til then,
Eitan

3 Comments:

At 10:10 PM, Blogger funniah said...

doesnt matter how many times i ve seen that picture of you with your little wisp of hair sticking out ... i still smile or laugh. you were so cute!

love yah

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger proudpetite said...

Eitan,

Wasn't that quite beautiful? Stories in ASL, everybody mingling and signing and you getting to see it all, plus standing on the stage and seeing the eyes of the audience! That's awesome.

Tell your mommy I really love her hair. Hey, what was that on her face while Mally was sitting on her lap and you on your Daddy's lap? It's so expressive, yet I couldn't tell what it is.

I'm going to check out that book "Do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight?" and see why you really like it :)

Take care, lil dino
Hugs

 
At 4:48 PM, Blogger Carla said...

That is so cool! I'm glad you enjoyed your first ASL storytelling experience! I hope there are many more in your future!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home